Sunday, December 02, 2007
Moving with Container Art from Harbor to Harbors.

"bu dong zhongwen. Wo shi Tai guo ren!"

Throughout all my trip from Chiang Mai International airport to the container site in Kaohsiung Museum of Arts (http://www.kmfa.gov.tw), I repeated this sentence over and over when Taiwanese tried to talk to me in Chinese. Obviously, my face looks Chinese or Japanese.
People often get confused about where I come from when I travel abroad. It always takes a bit longer than normal at the immigration checkpoint, when officers look at my Thai passport and my face more than twice. This is why my students in Chiang Mai call me in Thai "Moi Inter" meaning international Chinese girl.

The good thing is, I learnt Chinese before my first trip to Lijiang, China last year. So my trip to Europe and Taiwan were easier as I could use some Chinese words.

This time the trip was quite special. Guess what? I didn't travel alone, yeah! This does not happen often at all. There were 3 of us from Chiang Mai, off to create an art work for Kaohsiung International Container Arts Festival, Taiwan. The on-site production work took place between November 1 and 30, 2007, but we were there from 15 Nov to 1 Dec. The Neiweipi Cultural Park, where the Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts is located, is like a life museum park to me. Unlike the industrious city in the past, nowadays people of Kaohsiung can freely enjoy the green park and the art works. This is what Taiwan has created … physical and mentally healthy parks for their people!
The opening ceremony is on December 8th, 2007 at Neiweipi Cultural Park and will continue until January 13th, 2008. After that, the container works will travel around the world to large scale harbors like Napoli in Italy, California, and France, said Shingling Tsai and Tseng Fangling, curators of the Container art festival.
I hoped the exhibition would travel to Thailand one day since there are 4 Thai artists, out of 13 international ones, involved with the projects. Although I realized that even a harbor in Singapore is still too small scale for the Kaohsiung connection!!! Do you know that Kaohsiung harbor is the 4th biggest harbor in the world? There’s also the recently added world record of the tallest building in the world, "Taipei 101". I wonder, in what else does Taiwan want to try and reach the world record?!
Who knows, the container art festival in Khohsiung could be another world record soon!
Can’t wait to let you know more about the up coming traveling container arts in my next blog, stay online!


here are some foto of the trip!!
wish you also enjoy the Kaohsiung through it!
Container Art Festival



tip of the trip:: place to stay :: International Friendship House http://internationalfriendshiphouse.blogspot.com
cheap, good and convenience.. and good for the one who can't speak any Chinese.. the Canadian owner is really helpful for you..

1 comments:

IFH said...

Thanks for the free advertising. It was great to have you hear.

Post a Comment

som's blog

hope this info is useful!

Total Reader

Powered by Blogger.